Slams DeSantis for Failure to Take Real Action on Skyrocketing Rent, Utility, and Property Insurance Costs
ORLANDO — Today, Charlie Crist, candidate for governor of Florida, hosted a press conference slamming Ron DeSantis for his failure to take real action for Floridians as our state faces a raging affordability crisis that has left millions with skyrocketing rent, utility, and property insurance costs.
Crist – who was joined by Jessy Correa, a community advocate and local mother of 6, struggling to make ends meet – highlighted the cost of the DeSanTAX Floridians are paying which totals close to $50 billion:
- $1 billion in taxes on online purchases,
- $1.56 billion in gas taxes since the start of the Ukraine war when Crist demanded relief,
- $2 billion in taxes for Orange and Osceola Counties over DeSantis’s attacks on Disney,
- $7 billion in higher power bills,
- And in 2022 alone, Florida homeowners are paying an additional $15 billion in property insurance, while renters are paying an extra $25 billion.
“Ron’s tax plan is a drop in the bucket compared to the new taxes and higher bills Floridians are paying,” said Charlie Crist. “Because of this failed governor, Floridians have been forced to pay $50 BILLION dollars in new DeSanTAXes. Rather than working to solve Florida’s problems, Ron would rather fight culture wars to distract Florida from his failures. ”